Understand that 90% of the time a child is harmed is by someone they know. 68% of the time it is a family member. With that said the process of “grooming” a child for abuse is often done slowly over time right under the nose of trusted adults. The following is a list of potential Red Flag behaviors to watch for.
Be Aware of Adults Who:
· Single out your child or a few children to be alone
· Give your child gifts or money
· Are preoccupied with children
· Are more comfortable with children than adults
· Are overly physical with children – hugging, tickling, and handling children.
· Talk to children about inappropriate topics, their bodies, sexual topics
· Offer to babysit, tutor or play with your child – especially if they don’t have kids or don’t want compensation
· Offer to help around the house
· Contact your children (via text, phone, Facebook etc.)
· Share their personal information with children
Understand that an adult should NOT want to be with your children more than you do. These behaviors listed are inappropriate, crossing boundaries and gross misconduct.