The Safest Children are the Children whose parents talk to them and are available to their children when they have a problem.
Predators are looking for children who are easy targets. An easy target is a child who does not have open communication with their caregivers and look outside their home for someone to talk to. If you are not available, predators are willing, waiting and very able to talk to your children.
Lets make all children off limits to predators:
- Have important conversations with your children on an ongoing basis as a natural part of your every day parenting. Letting your children know you are available to them and their is no topic that they can’t discuss with you.
- Discuss “what if” situations…Ask, “what would you do” in certain safety situations. If they don’t give you the safest and smartest choices, discuss other options. Role play a situation with them that makes them uncomfortable and help them by giving them direction on how to respond.
- Redefine for them what their Personal Boundaries are and how to respond if someone crosses their boundaries.
- Difference between safe and unsafe touches and what to do if they receive an unsafe touch.
- Reporting to a trusted adult if they are uncomfortable or feel confused by anything.
- Who do they trust to go to if they had a problem.
- their bodies are special and belong to them.
- they have the right to be safe.
- they have the right to say “No” even to an adult they know love and trust when it comes to their safety or the safety of others.